For networks using the Aldine theme, the appearance of the network’s homepage can by customized by following these steps:
1. Login to the network with your network manager credentials.
2. From your network’s homepage, click on Admin (located in the top-right corner)
3. Next, click on Appearance > Customize on the left menu in the Pressbooks dashboard.
4. This will take you into the customize interface with a live preview of your site. You will see a menu on the left with a variety of customizable elements:
- Site identity
- Front page catalog
- Contact form
- Social media
- Header image
- Additional CSS
5. Click on each element to customize it (explained in more detail below). The interface displays a live preview so that you can see what your changes look like before saving
6. Once you’re done making your changes, click on Publish to save your changes. This will make them live on your site
The Customization Menu
Under Site Identity, you can insert your basic site information, including the title of your Pressbooks network. This could be the name of your university, press, or open textbook program. You can also:
- Upload your institution’s logo
- Add a tagline
- Hide the site title and tagline
- Customize the site icon with your university’s logo or another image
In Front Page Catalog, you can click the checkbox next to Show Front Page Catalog in order to show the catalog carousel on the front page. To not have the catalog present on the homepage, leave the box unchecked.
Enter the title of your catalog carousel under Front Page Catalog Title. For more instructions on how to feature books in this catalog, see Populating the catalog page.
Under Contact Form, Select the checkbox next to Show Contact Form to add the contact form block to your homepage. You can also enter a title for the form in the Contact Form Title field.
By default, the contact form will go to the primary network manager. If you would like form submissions to be sent to someone different, enter the new email address in the Contact Email cell. Then, click Publish.
You can link to your university’s Twitter and Facebook accounts. Enter the links to your respective social media in the Facebook and Twitter cells.
In the colors menu, you can customize the colors for your entire network. These will apply not just to the network pages, but also to webbook homepages and reading interface for all books on the network.
There are six colors you can change:
- Primary color: used for links and other primary elements
- Primary color (hover): Variant of the primary color, used for primary element hover states
- Accent color: used for flourishes and secondary elements
- Accent color (hover): Variant of the accent color, used for secondary element hover states
- Primary foreground color: used for text on primary color backgrounds
- Accent foreground color: used for text on accent color backgrounds
To change the color of any of these elements:
- Click Select Color
- Enter your brand’s hex color OR use the color picker and swatches to change the color of an element (NOTE: you’ll see these change in the live preview of your website)
- Click Publish
In this menu, you can add a header image to replace the default image, or change the header images that have already been uploaded.
To change the default header image:
1. Click Add new image
2. Upload your file
3. Click Publish
You can customise two different menus using the Menus section:
- The Footer Menu (appears in the network footer)
- The Primary Menu (appears in the top navigation bar)
The Aldine theme is built to support only these, and we recommend that you don’t add others or change their locations.
By default, the footer menu will contain links to the About, Catalog, Help, and Home pages, and the primary menu will contain a link to Home, along with the standard user-related options that cannot be changed.
Click on Footer Menu or Primary Menu to edit those menus. You’ll see a list of the pages currently on that menu. Click on a menu item (e.g. About) to drag it to a different order in the menu. To delete an item from the menu, click that item, then scroll down and click Remove. You can also remove a page by clicking Add Items — a menu will appear to the right, and red Xs will appear next to each page currently on the menu. You can click the red X remove a page from the selected menu.
Items on the menu can be either custom links (e.g. to your parent institution website, library website or other important information hosted elsewhere) or pages within your Pressbooks network site (see more on creating pages).
To add a custom link:
- Click on Add Items
- Under Custom Link enter the URL and link text to appear in the menu
- Click Add to Menu
To add a page:
- Click on Add Item
- Click Pages
- Click to choose any of the network pages listed to add them to the menu
Once you’re finished adding items, click Add Items again to save the order. Then, click Publish.
Click on the arrow in the top left corner to return to the main Menus panel.
Widgets are used in Aldine to add content to the network footer block, alongside the footer menu described above. Network Footer Block 1 appears on the left of the footer menu, and Network Footer Block 2 appears in the center.
In the Widgets menu, click on either one to add a text or image widget. This could include contact information, logos, or other custom text.
To add an image or text to your footer:
1. Click + Add a Widget
2. Choose whether to add a Gallery, Image, or Text
3. Insert your text or images into the editor
4. Click Done
5. Click Publish
If you’d like to customize the look of your site further, add any custom CSS code here by opening Additional CSS from the Customization menu.
Watch and Learn
Watch the video below for an in-depth walk-through of the customizations described above.